verse beg. A chóicid chóem Chairpri chrúaid
- Old Irish
- Early Irish poetry
- A chóicid chóem Chairpri chrúaid
The following is based on O'Daly's description.
- LL = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 (H 2. 18) = Book of Leinster [s. xii2] pp. 43a–43bbeginning: ‘...buadach co mbúaid ba lúath a chéim Chairpri cháeim’Incomplete. Due to a lacuna, the first 12 stanzas and part of stanza 13 (§ 13c) are wanting; §§ 17 and 22 of O'Daly's edition are not found and the order of the quatrains is somewhat anomalous.
- Rawl. B. 502 = Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Rawlinson B 502 2 = Lebar Glinne Dá Locha (?) [1125 x 1150] f. 50vbeginning: ‘A chóicid chóem Chairpri chrúaid’ context: Laídshenchas Laigen§§ 1-4 only. The remainder of the MS text is lost.
- N = Dublin, National Library of Ireland, MS G 7 (Phillipps 9748) [s. xvi] cols 15–1837qq.
- B1 = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS B iv 2 (1080) [1627-1628] f. 132r37qq.
- B2 = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS B iv 2 (1080) [1627-1628] f. 79v35qq (§§ 12-13 are missing).
- O'C = Castlerea, Clonalis House, Book of O'Conor Don = Book of O'Conor Don [s. xvii] f. 383v37qq.
- Old Irish
- O'Daly: “There is nothing in the language of the poem (excepting that part which I believe not to have been written by Orthanach) that would make impossible in the first half of the ninth century or that cannot be made to conform with such a date without doing violence to the metre. The distinction between preterite and perfect is well maintained. Exceptions are: ro n-ort, ro loisc 4, do-rat 17, torchair 27. Occasionally a variant in one of the other MSS. introduces a perfect where N has a preterite: nírbo 10(B) (nipa N), nirbtar 30(L) (nibtar N). There are no instances of the neuter being replaced by masc. or fem. Even the short form of the npl. survives [...] The infixed pronoun is infrequent but there are no instances of the independent pronoun [...]. dīas the older dissyllabic form occurs in 2 (N) while in Rawl., B and B1 it is is monosyllabic, an extra syllable being introduced into the verbal form.”
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
page name: A chóicid choín Chairpri crúaid
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/A_ch%C3%B3icid_cho%C3%ADn_Chairpri_cr%C3%BAaid
page ID: 6762
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=6762