Agallamh Oisín agus Phádraig‘The dialogue between Oisín and Patrick’
- Early Modern Irish, Modern Irish
- Classical Irish poetry, Finn Cycle
The Agallamh Oisín agus Phádraig, as intended here, refers to a series of poems that have been brought together in the framework of a dialogue between St Patrick and Finn's son Oisín.
Síle Ní Mhurchú has identified as many as 75 manuscript copies of the Agallamh, including:
- 17 copies with eleven lays in the order as you will see presented in the table of contents.
- 24 copies that are incomplete (whether due to omission or loss of leaves) but follow the same order
- 25 copies that are complete or near complete, but do not follow the same order or contain additions of other material; 9 such manuscripts contain a version with five additional lays, possibly of North Cork provenance. In addition, there are many attestations of individual lays.
Some manuscript copies:
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 C 15 (377) [s. xviii]Earliest copy of the collection as such.
- Early Modern Irish Modern Irish
- late Early Modern Irish, but with later stages of development
Work in progress. Per Ní Mhurchú, S., “Agallamh Oisín agus Phádraig: composition and transmission”, in The Gaelic Finn tradition (2012), the following list follows the arrangement of the lays as it is found in 17 manuscript copies.
|A Oisín, is fada do shúan|
|Cath Chnoic an Áir||The battle of Cnoc an Áir|
|Laoi Mheargaigh na Lann||The lay of Meargach na Lann|
|Caoineadh Áille Shnuagheal||The lamentation of Áille Shnuagheal|
|Anmanna na laochra do thit ar Chnoc an Áir||The names of the warriors who fell at Cnoc an Áir|
|Anmanna na ngadhar is na gcon||The names of the dogs and hounds|
|Laoi na seilge||The lay of the hunt|
|Seilg Sléibhe gCuilinn||The hunt of Slíab Cuilinn|
|La da raibh Fionn ag ol|
|Seilg Sléibhe Fuaid||The hunt of Slíab Fuaid|
|Aithrí agus bás Oisín||The repentance and death of Oisín|
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Agallamh Oisín agus Phádraig
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Agallamh_Ois%C3%ADn_agus_Ph%C3%A1draig
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=11093
page ID: 11093
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=11093