Aided Bresail meic Díarmata‘The violent death of Bressal mac Díarmata’
- Early Irish
- Cycles of the Kings, Aideda
A brief, early Irish saga and hagiographical legend, which relates how Díarmait mac Cerbaill had his son Bresal slain for appropriating a nun’s cow and how St Béccán rescued the soul of the king’s son from hell, resuscitating him.
- Independently attested
- Dublin, University College, MS Franciscan A 3 = detached folios from the Book of Leinster [s. xii]p. 358 context: Martyrology of TallaghtText written in the left margin. The main text is that of the Martyrology of Tallaght.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 O 48a = Liber Flavus Fergusiorum, part 1 [c. 1435-1440]f. 20(72)va.i–vb.m
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 3 A, ff. 1-19 [c.1467]f. 11vbbeginning: ‘Fecht do rigne Bresal mac Diarmaddo’
- Dublin, University College, MS Franciscan A 9 [s. xv (?)]p. 43b.m–44a.m
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS B iv 2 (1080) [1627-1628]f. 144ra
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1382 (H 5. 10) ? (to be verified)
- Version incorporated in the second recension of Aided Díarmata meic Cerbaill.
- Chatsworth (Derbyshire), Book of Lismore = Book of Lismore (Leabhar Leasa Móir) [s. xv]f. 136va1–va33 context: Aided Diarmata meic Cerbaill II
- Early Irish
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Aided Bresail meic Diarmata
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Aided_Bresail_meic_Diarmata
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=73
page ID: 73
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=73
Browse linked data