Aided Máelodráin‘The violent death of Máelodráin’
- Middle Irish, Old Irish
- Cycles of the Kings, Aideda
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Rawlinson B 502 2 = Lebar Glinne Dá Locha (?) [1125 x 1150] f. 47v
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Rawlinson B 512 I, (a) ff. 101-122, (b) ff. 1-36, (c) ff. 45-52 [s. xv / s. xvi] ff. 116a–116b
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS D ii 1 (1225) = Leabhar Uí Mhaine (The Book of Uí Maine)  f. 24rFragment
- Middle Irish Old Irish
- Middle Irish, with Old Irish forms. David Greene suggests that the text may date back to the Old Irish period: “In their present form these stories [Aided Máelodráin and Orgguin trí mac Diarmata mic Cerbaill] show a confusion of earlier and later forms, and there are so many minor variations of wording that it would be hard to come to any conclusion as to the original text. But enough archaic forms are preserved […] to make it possible that the date of the original composition was within the Old Irish period.”(1)n. 1 David Greene, Fingal Rónáin and other stories (1955): 47.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
page name: Aided Máelodráin
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Aided_M%C3%A1elodr%C3%A1in
page ID: 149
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=149