Apgitir chrábaid‘The alphabet of piety / devotion’
- Old Irish, Early Middle Irish
- Medieval Irish wisdom literature
Variously spelled Apgitir/Aipgitir crábaid/chrábaid/crabuid. The word apgitir or aipgitir, often translated literally as ‘alphabet’, denotes the fundamentals of religious or monastic devotion.(1)n. 1 Thomas Owen Clancy • Gilbert Márkus, Iona: the earliest poetry of a Celtic monastery (1995): 196–197.
- The four main manuscript copies are:
- A = Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Rawlinson B 512 [s. xv – s. xviin]ff. 37r (col. a, 1)–39r (col. a1
- B = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 3 B 23 (1227) = Tallaght manuscript [s. xv2]pp. 47a (line 22)–51
- C = London, British Library, MS Harleian 5280 [s. xviin]ff. 39v–41r
- D = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 N 10 (Betham 145, 967) = Book of Ballycummin [s. xvi]pp. 44 (line 1)–48No title heading. Some glosses.
- Incomplete copies:
- E = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 15, cols. 500-572 = YBL section pp. 252–253 (facsimile) cols 570–572
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 5, cols 217-280 = YBL section p. 410 cols 228–229Fragment.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1363 (H 4. 22) [various]p. 60
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 3 A, ff. 1-19 [c.1467]f. 15vFragment 'A'
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 3 A, ff. 1-19 [c.1467]f. 18vFragment 'A'
- Dublin, National Library of Ireland, MS G 10 2, pp. 19-50 [s. xvi]pp. 46, 48
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1337 3, pp. 15-58p. 40.Fragment.
- Brussels, Bibliothèque Royale de Belgique, MS 5100-5104 (507) f. 6r p. 1Fragment.
- Brussels, Bibliothèque Royale de Belgique, MS 2324-2340 (3410) f. 65rCopy.
- London, British Library, MS Egerton 1782 [1516-1518]f. 45r
- Old Irish Early Middle Irish
a mixture of Old Irish and early Middle Irish forms (Hull)(3)n. 3 Vernam Hull, ‘Apgitir chrábaid’, Celtica 8 (1968): 51.
Draws on the works of John Cassian (see Ó Néill).
Introduction (§§ 1–8)
De his quae debet homo discere (§§ 9–12)
De peritia ueritatis (§§ 13–16)
De uirtutibus animae incipit (§§ 17–34)
De tribus mandatis principalibus (§ 35)
De prudentissime homine (§§ 36–38)
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Apgitir chrábaid
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Apgitir_chr%C3%A1baid
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=356
page ID: 356
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=356
Browse linked data