Cóir anmann‘The fitness of names’
- Late Middle Irish
- Irish legendary history, Mythological Cycle, Irish texts on language and literature
- Longer recension:
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1337 19, pp. 565–628 [s. xvi (?)]pp. 565a–596a
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1393 (H 5. 21) [s. xvii]pp. 19–48
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 24 P 13 (Reeves 832, 1068) [s. xvii]pp. 257–292(1)n. 1 Sharon Arbuthnot, ‘The manuscript tradition of Cóir anmann’, Studia Celtica 35 (2001): 292.
- Shorter recension:
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 12 = Book of Ballymote [1384 x 1406]pp. 249a–255a
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 2 = Book of Lecan [s. xvin]ff. 173r–176r
- Edinburgh, National Library of Scotland, Adv. MS 72.1.1 (1) = 1467 manuscript [c. 1467]ff. 13r–14v
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1336 6 (first part), cols 710*-831 [s. xvi]col. 752Fragment.(2)n. 2 Sharon Arbuthnot, ‘The manuscript tradition of Cóir anmann’, Studia Celtica 35 (2001): 286.
- Late Middle Irish
Late Middle Irish (Arbuthnot)
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Contents: Introduction (pp 1-75, in 7 chapters); Editorial method (76); Diplomatic texts [BB and NLI MS G 2] and translation (79ff); App. I. Concordances of entries (200ff); App. II. Genealogical tables (222ff); Bibliography (234ff); Index of personal names (242ff).
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Cóir anmann
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/C%C3%B3ir_anmann
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=1238
page ID: 1238
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=1238