Cath Crinna‘The battle of Crinna’
- Middle Irish
- prose, prosimetrum
- Cycles of the Kings, Finn Cycle
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 (H 2. 18) = Book of Leinster [s. xii2]pp. 328f–329aEarly version incorporated among genealogical matters = CGH pp. 403-405
- Chatsworth (Derbyshire), Book of Lismore = Book of Lismore (Leabhar Leasa Móir) [s. xv]ff. 163ra–165rbThe version known from the edition in Silva Gadelica.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 29 pp. 17-216 = Book of Fermoy ‘proper’ [s. xiv / s. xv]pp. 29a–35aA different version that omits some poems while offering others.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1337 19, pp. 565–628 [s. xvi (?)]p. 609Glosses
- Middle Irish
- “The extant version of the story is late Middle Irish, but a forerunner may originally have been composed in the eighth century in the aftermath of this disaster” (Charles-Edwards).(1)n. 1 T. M. Charles-Edwards, Early Christian Ireland (2000): 551.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Cath Crinna
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Cath_Crinna
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=188
page ID: 188
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=188
Browse linked data