Dá brón flatha nime‘Two sorrows of the kingdom of heaven’
- Middle Irish
- Irish religious texts
The two sorrows of the kingdom of heaven are the prophets Enoch and Elias, who have passed thither with their mortal bodies and are awaiting the end of time when they may die. The piece has much value as a source for the religious ideas of the time, especially the idea of Anti-Christ. As in the other writings of this class, the author worked from the basis of certain European Latin works: here probably the pseudo-Hippolyte De consummatio mundi, the pseudo-Augustine De Antichristo, and the Libellus de Antichristo of Adso of Montiér-en-Der, sometimes attributed to Alcuin. The text, apparently, was written in the eleventh century.(1)n. 1 James F. Kenney, The sources for the early history of Ireland: an introduction and guide. Volume 1: ecclesiastical (1966): 738, no. 614.
- Redaction 1
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 25 (1229) = Lebor na hUidre [s. xi/xii]ff. 47–49Redaction 1.
- Redaction 2:
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 (H 2. 18) = Book of Leinster [s. xii2]ff. 280a–281aRedaction 2.
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1318 cols 573–958 = section of the Yellow Book of Lecan [s. xivex/xvin]col. 770bRedaction 2.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 29 pp. 17-216 = Book of Fermoy ‘proper’ [s. xiv / s. xv]pp. 114a–115bRedaction 2.
- Paris, Bibliothèque nationale de France, MS celtique 1 I and IV, ff. 1-8 and 22-29 [s. xv]ff. 27v*b–28r*bRedaction 2.
- Middle Irish
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Dá brón flatha nime
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/D%C3%A1_br%C3%B3n_flatha_nime
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=4089
page ID: 4089
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=4089