De causis torchi Corc' Óche‘On the reasons for the migration of the Corco Óche’
- Old Irish
- Medieval Irish literature
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Laud Misc. 610 ff. 1–58 and ff. 73–122 = Leabhar na Rátha [1453–1454] ff. 94rb23–94vb16
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 12 = Book of Ballymote [1384 x 1406] pp. 169b20–170a12Incomplete
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 2 = Book of Lecan [s. xvin] f. 125ra1–125rb20Incomplete
- Old Irish
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
To the list of reliable examples of acht followed by accusative case may now be added two unambiguous early instances that occur outside the legal tradition. Both examples are found in the early Old Irish text De causis torchi Corc’ Óche ‘On the reasons for the migration of the Corco Óche’ (hereafter cited as De causis). The complete text will be found in Laud Misc. 610, fol. 94Rb23–94Vb16, and there are incomplete versions in the Book of Ballymote (BB) on pp. 169b20–170a12 (= fol. 96Rb20–96Va12), and the Book of Lecan (Lec), fol. 125Ra1–125Rb20.
2. Another example of acht inge ‘except for’In the BB and Lec versions of De causis, it appears that we have another example of acht inge. In the first instance of acht + accusative discussed above, where Laud has Di-legath síl Dubthig Dōeltengath and act cethra conchuiriu, BB and Lec have the respective readings dileagad sil dubtaich dælteangthaich acht .i. ceithre conchuiri and dileagad sil dubthaich dæltengaig acht .i. ceithri conchoiri, where .i. can really only be taken as an abbreviation for inge.
page name: De causis torchi Corc' Óche
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/De_causis_torchi_Corc%27_%C3%93che
page ID: 16954
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=16954