Dublin, National Library of Ireland, MS G 1304test this
- s. xvii
- distinct manuscript
- Irish manuscripts
17th-century Irish manuscript miscellany containing Keating’s Trí biorghaoithe an bháis (incomplete), a variety of Irish poems and several genealogical tracts.
Irish antiquarian scholar; bishop of the Anglican see of Down, Connor and Dromore; keeper of the Armagh Public Library
See more Roibeard Mac ÁdhaimhMac Ádhaimh (Roibeard)
MacAdam (Robert), MacAdam (Robert Shipboy)
Robert Shipboy MacAdam, Irish Presbyterian scholar and antiquarian from Belfast; co-founded Ulster Gaelic Society and the Belfast Museum; editor of the Ulster Journal Archaeology.
See more During the second half of the 19th century, the MS entered the possession of bishop William Reeves, as is clear from both internal evidence and auction records drawn up after his death when his collection went on sale. Ó Cuív argues that Reeves is likely to have obtained it from Robert MacAdam, along with other MSS; at what date is unknown, but a note in RIA MS 24 P 26 shows that at least many of them were purchased in 1889. It seems that MacAdam had them bound in Belfast in the 1850s as some of them share the same style of binding and watermark date of 1852. Although it is known that he obtained MSS from the 1830 sale of Edward O’Reilly’s library, it is unknown if the present MS was among them.
See more Unlike most MSS that went on auction following Reeves’ death, the MS passed into private hands and ended up in the collection of Robert Torrens O'Neill (d. 1910) at Derrynoid Lodge in Draperstown (Co. Derry). On his death, the house and its library passed to his sister-in-law and on her death in c.1945, they passed to her son, the future Lord Rathcavan [Hugh O'Neill].
No description availableSee more ass. with Con O'Neill [British diplomat]O'Neill (Con) ... British diplomat
See more Hugh O’Neill sold the house in 1946, but gave the library to his son, the diplomat Con O’Neill (1912-1988), who in turn relocated the collection, including the MS, to London. Anders Ahlqvist brought the manuscript to Dublin, where Brian Ó Cuív was able to examine it and prepare a description (publ. in Éigse 13). When Con O’Neill had passed away, the MS was acquired by the National Library of Ireland in Dublin.
A single person, described by Ó Cuív as a “careful scribe with a good clear hand”, was responsible for the manuscript. A colophon occurs on f. 94v, at the end of Trí bior-ghaoithe an bháis, revealing the name of the scribe, that of his patron, and the date of writing (1681).
‘Ar na sgríobhadh do chum úsáide an Athar Ghiolla Padruig Mheic Murcadh, ⁊ gach aon léighfeas áon ní de tabhradh mile beandacht rém manmain ⁊ mar an céadna dhó úaimsi et me ar sgur dá sgríobhadh an .21. lá do mhí Februari an bhlíadhainsi daoís chriosd anno domini 1681. Meisi Conchubhar Mhágaodh.’
Another colophon with the name of the scribe occurs on f. 122v.Conchubhar MhágaodhMhágaodh (Conchubhar)
Primary sources This section typically includes references to diplomatic editions, facsimiles and photographic reproductions, notably digital image archives, of at least a major portion of the manuscript. For editions of individual texts, see their separate entries.
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Dublin, National Library of Ireland, MS G 1304
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Dublin,_National_Library_of_Ireland,_MS_G_1304
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=20644
page ID: 20644
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=20644
Browse linked data