Historiae adversus paganos‘Histories against the pagans’
- Non-Celtic texts, Universal history
For a handlist of manuscripts, see Janet M. Bately • D. J. A. Ross, ‘A checklist of manuscripts of Orosius’ Historiarum aduersum paganos libri septem’, Scriptorium: Revue internationale des études relative aux manuscrits 15 (1961).
- Manuscripts of possible Irish or insular interestinclude
- Milan, Biblioteca Ambrosiana, MS D 23 sup = The Bobbio Orosius [s. vii]Imperfect: Book I and part of Book II (up to ch. 13)
- Munich, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, MS Clm 396 [s. ixex]ff. 35–42
- also of note: Vatican City, Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, MS Reg. lat. 1650 [s. ix]ff. 1r–10vNot the text, but a Hiberno-Latin commentary on two books of the Historiae
- Manuscripts with Breton glosses
- Cosmographia of Aethicus Ister
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
Orosius as primary source
Transmission and reception
[EN] From Orosius to the Lebor Gabála Érenn : the glosses in ms. Reg. lat. 1650.
The Hiberno-Latin glosses on Orosius’s Historiae contra Paganos, that occur in the manuscript Vatican, B.A.V., Reg. lat. 1650, seem to have some points of contact with the Irish compilation Lebor Gabála Érenn. These glosses may have contributed to the dissemination in the Irish monastic circles of some of Orosius’s ideas, that were later taken over in the Lebor Gabála.
page name: Historiae adversus paganos (Orosius)
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Historiae_adversus_paganos_(Orosius)
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=22872
page ID: 22872
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=22872