Scúap chrábaid‘The besom of devotion’verse beg. Ateoch fritt, a Īssu nōebh
- Old Irish
- Irish religious texts, Litany
- Ateoch fritt, a Īssu nōebh
Meyer lists the following manuscript copies:
- L =
- Copies in the hand of Michael O'Clery:
- B1 = Brussels, Bibliothèque Royale de Belgique, MS 5100-5104 (507) pp. 9–12 cols 3 ffEntitled ‘Aurnaighthi Cholgan húi Duinecda .i. fer léighinn Cluana maic Nóis insin .i. Scuáp Crábaidh’
- B2 = Brussels, Bibliothèque Royale de Belgique, MS 4190-4200 (3409) [s. xvii1]ff. 212b–215aNo title. Here ascribed to the saint Airerán ind Eccna.
- B3 =
- B1 =
- LB = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 16 (Hodges & Smith 224, 1230) = Leabhar Breac [s. xvin]p. 74Incomplete. Begins at § 27 of Meyer's edition.
- R = Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Rawlinson B 512 III, (a) ff. 75B-100, (b) ff. 37-44 [s. xv]f. 41bIncomplete. Begins at § 34 of Meyer's edition.
- Old Irish
- “The language is unmistakeably Old-Irish, and may well be that of the latter half of the eighth century” (Meyer).(2)n. 2 Kuno Meyer, ‘Stories and songs from Irish manuscripts: VI. Colcu ua Duinechda's Scúap Chrábaid, or Besom of Devotion’, Otia Merseiana 2 (1900–1901): 92.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
- ‘Prayer of St. Colga’, a translation of the Scúap Chrábaid, a litany in YBL, described and partially edited in O'Curry 1861: 379-380, 614-615 (Appendix CXXII). The editors write: “Through the gracious permission of their Lordships the Board of the Catholic University, who placed at our disposal the manuscripts belonging to the late lamented Mr. O'Curry, now in possession of the University, we are enabled to give our readers this interesting and valuable document.”
- ‘Prayer of St. Aireran the Wise’
- ‘The rule of St. Carthach’
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Scúap Chrábaid
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Sc%C3%BAap_Chr%C3%A1baid
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=7093
page ID: 7093
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=7093