Tairired na nDéssi‘The migration of the Déisi’
- Old Irish, Middle Irish
- Cycles of the Kings
- Recension A:
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Rawlinson B 502 2 = Lebar Glinne Dá Locha (?) [1125 x 1150]pp. 131b–133b
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Laud Misc. 610 ff. 1–58 and ff. 73–122 = Leabhar na Rátha [1453–1454]ff. 99vb–102rb
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS D ii 1 (1225) = Leabhar Uí Mhaine (The Book of Uí Maine) ff. 35ra–35vaEnd missing
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 O 48b = Liber Flavus Fergusiorum, part 2 [c. 1435-1440]ff. 51va–51vbFragment
- Recension B (later):
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 E 25 (1229) = Lebor na hUidre [s. xi/xii]ff. 53r (line 33)–54v (line 21)Fragment. One or more folios are lost. Interpolated by "H" and glossed by "H" and "M".
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1316 3, pp. 67-70 [s. xiv (?)]pp. 67a–68b
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1336 6 (first part), cols 710*-831 [s. xvi]cols 720b–723a
- Old Irish Middle Irish
Recension A is Old Irish and has been dated to the middle of the 8th century.(3)n. 3 Kuno Meyer, ‘Gauls in Ireland’, Ériu 4 (1908–1910).
The later Recension B predates the compilation of LU (AD 1106). "How much earlier than this date [...] remains open to question since it also preserves a number of Old Irish forms. At any event, the almost complete absence of independent objective pronouns in the Lebor na Huidre copy suggests a date of composition at least some fifty or more years before previous to A.D. 1106" (Hull).(4)n. 4 Vernam Hull, ‘The later version of the expulsion of the Déssi’, Zeitschrift für celtische Philologie 27 (1958–1959): 15 note 5, referring here to John Strachan, ‘The infixed pronoun in Middle Irish’, Ériu 1 (1904): 177.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Tairired na nDéssi
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Tairired_na_nD%C3%A9ssi
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=292
page ID: 292
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=292