Tecosca Cormaic‘The instructions of Cormac’
- Old Irish
- Medieval Irish wisdom literature
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 (H 2. 18) = Book of Leinster [s. xii2] pp. 343–345
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 12 = Book of Ballymote [1384 x 1406] pp. 62a–65a
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 2 = Book of Lecan [s. xvin] ff. 420r–422r
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 N 10 (Betham 145, 967) = Book of Ballycummin [s. xvi] pp. 1–2, [lacuna], 3–5.mMeyer writes "23 N 17", but it is clear from his references in the footnote that 23 N 10 is intended.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 N 27 (966)  ff. 7v–16vAn extensively glossed copy written by Domhnall ó Duinn mac Eimuinn (1714).
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1289 (H 1. 15) = The Psalter of Tara  pp. 149–174Teagasg Riogh, written by Tadgh ua Nechtain (1745).
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1298 pp. 376-456 [s. xv] pp. 420a–422a
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1283 (H 1. 9) [s. xvii] pp. 59–end
- Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1349
- Edinburgh, National Library of Scotland, Adv. MS 72.1.7 ff. 9ra–9vb
- Old Irish
- “I think there can be no doubt that Tecosca Cormaic in the form in which it has come down to us was compiled during the Old-Irish period of the language and so far as I can judge, not later than the first half of the ninth century. The later forms of the infixed pronouns which Strachan has pointed out [...], such as -das- or -dos-, do not appear in our text” (Meyer).(2)n. 2 Kuno Meyer, The instructions of King Cormac mac Airt (1909): xi, referring to John Strachan, ‘The infixed pronoun in Middle Irish’, Ériu 1 (1904).
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Tecosca Cormaic
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Tecosca_Cormaic
page ID: 6182
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=6182