Timna Chathaír Máir‘The testament of Cathaír Már’
- Old Irish
- Medieval Irish literature
- Recension I:
- B = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 12 = Book of Ballymote [1384 x 1406]ff. 74rb.1–75ra.39 pp. 127b.1–129a.39
- L = Dublin, Trinity College, MS 1339 pp. 377–410 = Supplement to the Book of Leinster [c. s. xvi]pp. 385c.6–386b.53Supplement to the Book of Leinster, c. 16th century.
- Recension II:
- Lec = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 2 = Book of Lecan [s. xvin]ff. 200b.28–200d.26
- B = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 12 = Book of Ballymote [1384 x 1406]ff. 152rb.12–152va.48 pp. 277b.12–278a.48
- M = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS D ii 1 (1225) = Leabhar Uí Mhaine (The Book of Uí Maine) ff. 139b.15–139c.21
- Lec = Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 P 2 = Book of Lecan [s. xvin]ff. 87a.1–87b.38
- Old Irish
- Old Irish: “Some of the late verbal forms in the Testament can readily be restored as Old Irish. Others would require drastic emendation, but these may be explained as due to improvisation by scribes writing from memory a poem they could no longer fully understand, or substituting late forms for forms long since obsolete. The Testament may have been composed as early as the eighth century, and it may derive from an oral tradition even more ancient” (Dillon).(1)n. 1 Myles Dillon, Lebor na Cert: The Book of Rights (1962): 148.
Primary sources Text editions and/or modern translations – in whole or in part – along with publications containing additions and corrections, if known. Diplomatic editions, facsimiles and digital image reproductions of the manuscripts are not always listed here but may be found in entries for the relevant manuscripts. For historical purposes, early editions, transcriptions and translations are not excluded, even if their reliability does not meet modern standards.
Secondary sources (select)
page name: Timna Chathaír Máir
page url: https://www.vanhamel.nl/codecs/Timna_Chatha%C3%ADr_M%C3%A1ir
numerical alternatve: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?curid=6735
page ID: 6735
page ID tracker: https://www.vanhamel.nl/vhcodecs/index.php?title=Show:ID&id=6735