Agents

Reeves (William)

  • 1815–1892
  • scholars, authors, scribes
Irish antiquarian scholar; bishop of the Anglican see of Down, Connor and Dromore; keeper of the Armagh Public Library
patron:Reeves (William)
scribes:Reeves (William)
scribes:Reeves (William)
Reeves, William, “Les monastères celtiques aux VIe et VIIe siècles, d'après les usages de l'ile d'Iona”, tr. Arthur de La Borderie, Annales de Bretagne 9 (1894): 182–209.
Rennes – offprint: <link> Gallica: <link>
Reeves, William [ed.], and J. T. Fowler, Adamnani Vita S. Columbae, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1894.  
Based on the original edition by William Reeves, with introduction, glossary and notes by Fowler.
Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link>
Reeves, William, “On the Céli Dé, commonly called Culdees”, Transactions of the Royal Irish Academy 24 — Antiquities (1873): 119–263.
JSTOR: <link>
Reeves, William, “On SS. Marinus and Anianus”, Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 8 (February 23, 1863, 1861–1864): 295–301.
Journal volume:  : <link>
Reeves, William, The Culdees of the British Islands, as they appear in history: with an appendix of evidences, Dublin: Gill, 1864.
HathiTrust: <link>
Reeves, William, “[On certain Irish ecclesiastical bells]”, Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 8 (December 14, 1963, 1861–1864): 441–450.
Journal volume:  : <link>
O'Donovan, John, James Henthorn Todd, and William Reeves (ed. and tr.), The martyrology of Donegal: a calendar of the saints of Ireland, Dublin, 1864.
Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link>
Reeves, William, “On the Island of Sanda”, Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 8 (April 14, 1862, 1864): 132–135.
Journal volume:  : <link>
Reeves, William, “Memoir of Stephen White”, Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 8 (November 30, 1861, 1861–1864): 29–38.
Journal volume:  : <link>
Reeves, William, and Charles P. Mac Donnell [quoted], “On Marianus Scotus, of Ratisbon”, Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 7 (1857–1861): 290–301.
Reeves, William, “On the Irish abbey of Honau, on the Rhine”, Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 6 (1853–1857): 452–461.
Journal volume:  : <link>
Reeves, William, Life of St. Columba, founder of Hy, written by Adamnan, 1st ed., Dublin: Irish Archaeological and Celtic Society, 1857.
CELT – edition: <link> CELT – translation: <link> Internet Archive – original print: <link> Internet Archive – 1874 reprint: <link>
Reeves, William, “The island of Tiree”, Ulster Journal of Archaeology (first series) 2 (1854): 233–244.
Reeves, William, “Irish library no. 2: Fleming’s Collectanea sacra”, Ulster Journal of Archaeology (first series) 2 (1854): 253–261.
Reeves, William, “Irish itinerary of Father Edmund MacCana”, Ulster Journal of Archaeology (first series) 2 (1854): 44–59.
Reeves, William, “Saint Mura”, Ulster Journal of Archaeology (first series) 1 (1853): 271–273.
Internet Archive: <link>
Reeves, William, “The Antiphonary of Bangor”, Ulster Journal of Archaeology (first series) 1 (1853): 168–179.
Reeves, William, and Eugene O'Curry [tr.], “On an Irish MS. of the Four Gospels in the British Museum”, Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, 1st series, 5 (1853): 45–67.  
comments: Eugene O'Curry supplies the translation for the Irish poem beginning 'Aurilius humilis ard' (and others as well?).
Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link>
Reeves, William, “Irish library no. 1: Colgan's works”, Ulster Journal of Archaeology (first series) 1 (1853): 295–302.
Internet Archive: <link>
Reeves, William [ed.], Acts of Archbishop Colton in his Metropolitan Visitation of the diocese of Derry, AD MCCCXCVII; with a rental of the see estates at that time, Dublin: Irish Archaeological Society, 1850.  
Contents: Introduction (i-xx); Visitatio metropolitica diocesis Derensis (1-86); Appendix: Additional notes (89-134): A. Episcopal styles; B. Reconciliation of churches; C. The church of Banagher; D. Rule of St. Columbkille; E. Revenue of the See of Derry; F. St Patrick's labours in the diocese of Derry; G. Secular distribution Tyrone; H. Parishes omitted in the Rentale; Index (135-149).
Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link>
Reeves, William, Ecclesiastical antiquities of Down, Connor, and Dromore, Dublin, 1847.
Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link> Internet Archive: <link>


See also: Armagh, Robinson LibraryArmagh, Robinson Library
Entry reserved for but not yet available from the subject index.
See more
Charles P. Mac DonnellMacDonnell (Charles P.) – Irish scholar who has been identified as a “a member of the Royal Irish Academy [since 1847], the Irish Archæological Society, and the Celtic Society; from 1850 onwards he appears in Dublin directories as Pursuivant at Arms in Dublin Castle”.
See more
James Henthorn ToddTodd (James Henthorn) (1805–1869) – James Henthorn Todd, Irish scholar known for his contributions to Irish studies.
See more

Sources

Reference works (select)

McGuire, James [ed.], and James Quinn [ed.], Dictionary of Irish biography, online ed. (2009), Online: Royal Irish Academy; Cambridge University Press. URL: <https://www.dib.ie>.
[id. 7,612.] O'Brien (Andrew), Id, ‘William Reeves’ direct link

Secondary sources (select)

Moore, Norman, and Nollaig Ó Muraíle [rev.], “Reeves, William (1815–1892)”, Oxford dictionary of national biography, Online: Oxford University Press.
Thompson, John, “William Reeves and the medieval texts and manuscripts at Armagh”, Peritia 10 (1996): 363–380.  
abstract:
The achievement of William Reeves as Armagh keeper can be closely associated with the changing mid-nineteenth-century fortunes of the Armagh library property. In the absence of a detailed survey of small Irish collections to match the example set by N. R. Ker’s magisterial Medieval manuscripts in British libraries, this study traces the crucial role played by Reeves in the history of several important manuscripts and early books now in Armagh Public Library.
Ó Cuív, Brian, “A seventeenth-century Irish manuscript”, Éigse 13 (1969–1970): 143–152.